That bold Oscar wag Pete Hammond (Deadline) doesn’t agree with 19 out of 21 Experts at Gold Derby who predict “Roma” will win the Oscar for Best Picture. “I’m picking ‘Green Book’ since it won the Producers’ Guild Award,” he declares in our webcam chat. Watch above or listen to the audio podcast version below.
“PGA has the same voting method as the Oscars,” he notes. “They both use the preferential ballot. ‘Green Book’ seems to be the kind of likeable movie that would be a strong number-two vote if it’s not your number one. ‘Roma’ is a strong number-one vote” or might be ranked low on a voter’s ballot due to resistance against Netflix by the traditional film-industry base, Pete adds.
I disagree and defend my own “Roma” prediction by reminding Pete that “we’ve seen a pattern of esoteric, art-house movies winning Best Picture recently, such as ‘Shape of Water,’ ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Birdman.'” “Roma” fits that pattern. “Green Book” does not.
Pete concedes that point and adds, “There are many other movies that have a path to winning Best Picture,” he notes, citing “A Star Is Born” and “The Favourite.”
- Oscar predictions: Tom O’Neil explains why he’s picking ‘Roma’ to win Best Picture
- 2 Oscar Experts’ predictions PANIC: Pete vs. Tom on Best Picture race – HELP! [Video & audio podcast]
- Advanced Imaging Society: Those gutsy, golden Lumiere Awards advance to the big league
- Oscar predictions mystery: What’s REALLY ahead to win Best Picture? Tom O’Neil tracks the derby
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
- Oscars update: Tom O’Neil handicaps the Best Picture race – It’s a real derby, damn it!
5A Star Is Born12/1
- Updated on: 10 Feb 19, 05:37 am PT