“I think it’s ‘Roma,’ but it’s such a tough call!” Keith Simanton (IMDb) confesses when predicting the Oscar race for Best Picture with Alicia Malone (TCM) and me. Watch our video above or listen to the audio podcast below. “It’s going to come down to what’s number 2 on the voters’ ballots. There’s so much passion for so many different films!”
Alicia admits that the preferential ballot has her stumped, too. “That’s why I keep going back and forth with my predictions. Will it be ‘Roma’ or something like ‘Green Book’?”
There’s another frustrating factor, too. “Voters might think: We’ll give ‘Roma’ Best Foreign Film and Best Director and then that’s done so they don’t vote for it for Best Picture,” she adds. “I’m going to stay with ‘Roma’ because it was my number one favorite filmi of last year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the winner turns out to be ‘Green Book.'”
Keith believes Cuaron is vulnerable in the Best Director category since Spike Lee (“BlacKkKlansman”) is nominated there for the first time ever. “This is a fairly legendary individual – that’s a compelling argument,” he adds.
As for Best Actress, Alicia says Glenn Close (“The Wife”) has all the momentum. “So far she’s won SAG, the Globe, the Critics’ Choice Award. She has so much good will behind her. She gives a wonderfully understated performance that’s so powerful.”
- Oscar predictions: Tom O’Neil explains why he’s picking ‘Roma’ to win Best Picture
- 2 Oscar Experts’ predictions PANIC: Pete vs. Tom on Best Picture race – HELP! [Video & audio podcast]
- Advanced Imaging Society: Those gutsy, golden Lumiere Awards advance to the big league
- Oscar predictions mystery: What’s REALLY ahead to win Best Picture? Tom O’Neil tracks the derby
- Cast your vote for the Razzie Redeemer Award right here at Gold Derby!
- Squish! Donald and Melania Trump get pelted with Razzie Award nominations!
- Gold Derby offers the inside track to Hollywood leaders at Awards Upfront
- Oscars cliffhanger = Best Picture race: Tom O’Neil tracks the 5 frontrunners
- Tom O’Neil’s 100% accurate Golden Globe predictions: Don’t argue with me!
- Oscars update: Tom O’Neil handicaps the Best Picture race – It’s a real derby, damn it!
5A Star Is Born12/1
- Updated on: 10 Feb 19, 05:37 am PT