Home Forums Television 2019 Producers Guild of America TV nominees announced….

2019 Producers Guild of America TV nominees announced….

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Riley
Guest 2018
Mukund
  • Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Norman Felton Award/Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television Drama:
    The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Ozark
    This Is Us

Danny Thomas Award/Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television Comedy:
    Atlanta
    Barry
    GLOW
    The Good Place
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Limited Series TV:
    ACS: Versace
    Escape at Dannemora
    Maniac
    The Romanoffs
    Sharp Objects

Outstanding Producer of Streamed/Televised Motion Pictures:
    Fahrenheit 451
    King Lear
    My Dinner with Hervé
    Paterno
    Sense8: Together Until the End

Outstanding Producer of Non-Fiction Television:
    30 for 30
    Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
    Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
    Queer Eye
    Wild Wild Country

Outstanding Producer of Live Entertainment & Talk Television:
    The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
    Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
    The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
    Real Time with Bill Maher
    Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Producer of Game & Competition Television:
    The Amazing Race
    America’s Got Talent
    RuPaul’s Drag Race
    Top Chef
    The Voice

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

The rest of the TV nominees:

Outstanding Short-Form Program:
    Biography: History, Herstory
    Carpool Karaoke: The Series
    Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
    Her America: 50 Women, 50 States
    Kevin Hart: What The Fit

Outstanding Sports Program:
    Being Serena
    E:60
    Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns
    Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel
    SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt

Outstanding Children’s Program:
    Fuller House
    PJ Masks
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    Sesame Street
    Teen Titans Go!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The drama nominations are disappointing.  We somehow ended up with an entire category of fillers.  With The CrownGame of Thrones and Stranger Things ineligible and them never having nominated The Americans or This is Us before, it would have been really easy for them to make creative choices (Bodyguard, The Haunting of Hill House, HomecomingKilling Eve, PoseSuccession), but they avoided all of the new shows to make just about the laziest choices as possible.  This is the first time in eight years that they did not nominate a new drama.  The field ended up finally being weak enough for The Americans and This is Us to move up, along with Ozark, which was likely eighth in series at the Emmys anyway.  And after Better Call Saul was squeezed out last year due to heavy competition, it is back this year.  The only drama nominee that is nominated that the PGA has ever been passionate about is The Handmaid’s Tale, but that has really fallen off in awards recently, so this award could go any way.  The only interesting thing that happened was the Westworld snub.

Good for GLOW hanging on.  The Good Place getting in is huge, as is Silicon Valley being snubbed.  Comedy actually is the opposite of the drama field.  They got rid of the deadweight (Silicon Valley) and did not bring back stuff that they had dropped previously (black-ish).  A new comedy has won the last four years, but The Kominsky Method will not continue that streak.

Why did they split limited series and movies?  Does not seem like the Emmys are going to combine them again any time soon.  The big movie snub is The Tale; at least it just won the equivalent Satellite Award?  King Lear has been doing well.  I do not see how The Alienist and Genius were snubbed after their strong Emmy showings.  The snubs of Patrick Melrose and A Very English Scandal for Maniac and The Romanoffs are surprising.  Black Mirror won last year, but I believe that Netflix did not submit it this year.

Bill Maher returning after being dropped is interesting.  Looks like the bloom is off the rose for Samantha Bee.  America’s Got Talent is now on track to bump either American Ninja Warrior or Project Runway at the Emmys.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Riley.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Is it possible that Drama just isn’t that up to snuff like comedy is this season? And Monday is the DGA announcement. Maybe TGP can set off a few more tremors then! 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the first year in five though that the category has not nominated a new comedy and The Kominsky Method seemed well on its way.

Barry is nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

If only Barry were a comedy! 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Woah, woah, woah… I would call nominating The Americans and Better Call Saul the opposite of lazy. The others? Sure. But I’ll give them some credit for actually choosing two of the best programs of the year, despite also going with two (or three, depending on your mileage) of the worst.

Now, if you are more referring to the awards race and how the PGAs relate to the Emmys, then fine – perhaps this was them falling in line. The quality is there, though!

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes talent, yes Handmaid’s Tale winning

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The drama nominations are disappointing. We somehow ended up with an entire category of fillers. With The Crown, Game of Thrones and Stranger Things ineligible and them never having nominated The Americans or This is Us before, it would have been really easy for them to make creative choices (Bodyguard, The Haunting of Hill House, Homecoming, Killing Eve, Pose, Succession), but they avoided all of the new shows to make just about the laziest choices as possible. This is the first time in eight years that they did not nominate a new drama. The field ended up finally being weak enough for The Americans and This is Us to move up, along with Ozark, which was likely eighth in series at the Emmys anyway. And after Better Call Saul was squeezed out last year due to heavy competition, it is back this year. The only drama nominee that is nominated that the PGA has ever been passionate about is The Handmaid’s Tale, but that has really fallen off in awards recently, so this award could go any way. The only interesting thing that happened was the Westworld snub.

Hey cmon. The Americans and Better Call Saul were two of the best tv shows of the years and most critics agree. I’ll take the Ozark and This is Us nominations if it means they reward two of the best shows on television that deserve it.

Bob Odenkirk for the win!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

All that I am saying is that The Americans and Better Call Saul got in not because the PGA voted differently this year, but just because competition was lighter.  I wonder if The Americans can win just because it has passion behind it.  Consensus shows like Game of Thrones and Veep have done poorly at PGA in recent years opposite new shows that might not have been seen by everyone, but had some people buzzing.  What the hell wins the movie category?

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Sense8 💙

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with the rest, the drama category is excellent, Better Call Saul, The Americans and The Handmaid’s Tale are the best three dramas of the past year. And they very often nominate shows for the first time for their second seasons, so Ozark and This is us are not that surprising (as a regular watcher, I know that This is us aired the first half of his third season, but here it is nominated also for the second part of the second season). GLOW and The Good Place also received their first nomination for their second seasons (TGP has the same situation as This is us). And it is obvious that many people caught up with The Americans during the last season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Saturday is not just the movie producers’ night. It’s TV’s night with the PGA, too. Predictions, anyone?

Drama: The Americans
    Comedy: Atlanta or The Good Place
    Limited Series: ACS Versace
    Streamed/Televised Motion Picture: My Dinner with Hervé
    Non-Fiction: 30 for 30 should, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown will
    Live Entertainment/Talk: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
    Game/Competition: The Voice
    Short-Form: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
    Sports: E:60
    Children’s: Sesame Street

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My predictions score rides on my upset prediction of Sense8 in TV movie.  I do not agree with the PGA’s decision to split off limited series and movies into separate categories this year, especially this year.  To recap, the other nominees are:

– Paterno, which could not even get Al freaking Pacino nominated for anything
    – Fahrenheit 451, HBO’s worst-reviewed film in decades
    – My Dinner with Hervé, which HBO held to burn off in the fall
    – King Lear, possibly a decent movie and it seems like Amazon has put up a campaign, but nobody has ever talked about it and the 6.1 rating on IMDb from 1500 ratings does not inspire much confidence

PGA awarded The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Atlanta when they had just come out and few had seen or heard of them, which makes me think that passion is key at PGA.  The hard part is getting the nomination because consensus does not necessarily win out in the end.

Sense8 has of course been cancelled and shuffled off to the movie category, but its minority of fans was so vocal that Netflix felt bad and gave it a wrap-up movie.  That alone demonstrates that some people somewhere are passionate about this show.  HBO got its nominations because the PGA had to nominate something and HBO still makes half-decent TV movies, but nobody has an emotional attachment to these three, so they could split the vote.  Also, Sense8 has been on Netflix for years, so it might even win on visibility, one of the advantages that long-running series like Black Mirror and Sherlock have over whatever the new HBO movie is, which voters either saw in the last year or they did not see at all.  Maybe some voters did not watch a single TV movie this year, but they watched an episode of Sense8 a couple of years ago. The Sense8 series has more than ten times the number of IMDb ratings than any of the other nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

King Lear, possibly a decent movie and it seems like Amazon has put up a campaign, but nobody has ever talked about it and the 6.1 rating on IMDb from 1500 ratings does not inspire much confidence

This is so true!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.